Salary: £48,202 – £58,558 (including annual allowance)
Contract Type: Fixed Term (3 Years)
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 18th November 2018
Interview Date: W/C 26th November 2018
The aim of DAFNI is to provide new data intensive hardware and software infrastructure to enable significant new advances in infrastructure systems research. DAFNI is the first of its kind in the UK and globally, dedicated to complex infrastructure systems research using advanced computational techniques. The core of DAFNI will be located at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire.
The purpose of this role is to lead the technical delivery of the DAFNI platform. The key objective is to implement and refine the existing DAFNI design through leading the technical delivery team. It will include integration of a number of prototypes and pilots while DAFNI is going through stage of developments from initial design, to continuous improvements of software and hardware research infrastructure. The role involves working closely in “dynamic virtual teams” that typically involve STFC members of staff, university researchers, data providers (e.g. businesses, government organisations), and a wider range of stakeholders interested to exploit the outputs. DAFNI has been constructed as a phased delivery programme and will require prioritisation of delivery functionality as the platform progresses through Bronze, Silver and Gold maturity levels.
List of Duties/Work Programme/Responsibilities
- lead the technical development of DAFNI
- technical coordination and leadership of the DAFNI development team
- to own the development and evolution of DAFNI architecture
- to ensure best practice software engineering processes in the project and across the Scientific Computing Department
- to work with partners and stakeholders to integrate pilot development into DAFNI.
Contacts and Communication
- work effectively with the DAFNI Project Manager, Partnership Manager and the Project Lead
- regular contact with staff internally and externally
- organise and coordinate technical meetings and assist relevant project and departmental events
- effective engagement with DAFNI stakeholders (e.g. members of the research community, other potential partners from industry and government) about the project.
Personal Skills and Attributes
- strong leadership skills
- strong communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
- proven negotiation and influencing skills
- proven organisational ability to manage a workload on a range of activities with competing time demands
- high level of self-motivation and drive, and capable of motivating others
- analytical with exceptional problem solving skills, and a proven track record
- able to work effectively under pressure, set priorities and make decisions independently
- able to work with uncertain requirements to develop a consensus on a plan of action
- ability to manage complex situations with confidence and with little supervision
- ability to delegate effectively.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.