The Simons Foundation has formed a new computational science organization called the Flatiron Institute. The Flatiron Institute includes three centers — the Center for Computational Astrophysics (CCA), the Center for Computational Biology (CCB) and the Center for Computational Quantum Physics (CCQ). The Software Engineer will report to the CCA director and the group leader for Galaxy Formation, and will work in collaboration with members of the Scientific Computing Core to develop and deploy the software necessary for carrying out research objectives.
As a member of the CCA, the Software Engineer/Data Scientist will be embedded in various projects within the center. The person in this position will work in collaboration with CCA scientists and the Scientific Computing Core to develop standards for storage of and access to diverse kinds of simulated data. The Software Engineer/Data Scientist will also work on building user interfaces for both simulated and observational data. Initial projects will be supporting the Galaxy Formation group, and there will likely be future projects with the Compact Objects, Planet Formation and other groups.
- Ph.D. in astronomy, physics, astrophysics, computer science or a related technical discipline.
- Experience with back-end and front-end software development
- Familiarity with Unix and Python
- Experience with the Jupyter notebook environment
- Experience with databases and large data sets
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Knowledge of software engineering practices for working in groups, including software development life cycles, coding standards, code review and version control systems (e.g., Git)
- Expertise in algorithms and data structures
- Technical and scientific curiosity
- Professional communication skills
This position has the potential to be titled ‘Senior Software Engineer’ or ‘Senior Data Scientist’ depending on the hire’s background and experience.
When applying for this position, candidates should upload a CV and a brief statement (2-3 pages) describing previous work and skills relevant to this position. If applicable, please also attach a publications list and/or files containing previous or current software projects when filling out the online application’s questionnaire.