What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about your work and dream of influencing the future of scientific and engineering computing software? Do you want to join a diverse team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security? We are seeking an outstanding research scientist or engineer with a passion for research in the design and implementation of high-quality scientific and engineering software and a desire to study and improve the state of the art in this field. We seek someone with career experience who can make significant contributions to our broad-based computing research organization, with a focus on:
- Studying the practices and team interactions of scientific and engineering software teams for the purposes of advancing community understanding in developer productivity and software sustainability
- Engaging the broader software engineering community to adapt and adopt best practices for the purposes of advancing scientific and engineering software effectiveness and efficiency
- Contributing in the form of publications, presentations and engagement in the research community to characterize the challenges of creating scientific and engineering software and progress toward improvements in its development, delivery and support
- Engaging Sandia software teams to identify challenges and improve the quality of their software products, processes and practices
On any given day, you may:
- Conduct creative research and development to impact the quality of scientific and engineering software
- Collaborate with a team of hardworking, multidisciplinary researchers to explore state-of-the-art techniques and develop software to support the DOE mission
- Brief program managers on project proposals or status to develop and maintain program funding.
- Collaborate with management on charting strategic research directions
- Collaborate with team members on journal publications and conference presentations, as well as participating in scientific conferences
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position
Sandia Job Title: R&D Computer Science
Qualifications We Require
- Master’s Degree or higher in applied mathematics, engineering, computer science, physical science, or related discipline, a bachelor’s in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM), and one or more years’ relevant experience
- Experience in scientific software design and development
- A record of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at scientific conferences
- Experience making effective technical presentations
Qualifications We Desire
- A PhD in applied mathematics, engineering, computer science, physical science, or other, equivalent relevant discipline
- Expertise in scientific programming for high performance parallel computing, including expertise with MPI-based parallel programming
About Our Team
The Software Engineering and Research Department (1424), a new department within the Center for Computing Research, is leading the strategic goal of furthering the substantiation of software engineering as an engineering discipline. This dynamic team of experts conducts fundamental and applied research, development and application in software engineering, design, and the processes and principles that underlie the establishment of quality, rigor, correctness, and repeatability in the implementation of algorithms and applications in software for high consequence applications. The team focuses on applications for scientific computing, computational algorithms, large scale data analytics, and operating system components such as run-time systems and application programming interfaces. A key element of the work is teaming with application and algorithm researchers to establish a strong foundation in software methodologies, state-of-the-art practices, and maintenance and support for production codes and libraries. The department works closely with other organizations across Sandia and with external collaborators. The department is part of the Extreme Scale Computing group, which unifies computer engineering and science disciplines to advance highly scalable and performant computing architectures based on current conventional, as well as future non-conventional, technologies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.