Location: Woking, GB
Job Type: Permanent
Contract Duration: Permanent
Purpose of the Role:
To provide a reliable and high end High Performance Computing service to McLaren Racing, meeting the very demanding requirements of the McLaren’s computational engineering environment and enabling Computational Fluid Dynamics for race car performance. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, innovative high technology environment, focussing on pure performance and exploring a diverse range of new hardware and software technologies in supercomputing.
- Part of the HPC team, reporting to the HPC Team Leader.
- Flexibility in working hours is required (some evenings and weekends).
- This role is predominantly factory based.
- HPC Team Leader and other members of the HPC team.
- HPC users – CFD methodology team and aerodynamicists.
- HPC Support team (McLaren Group IT)
- Maintain a high level of performance, reliability and availability of the very diverse infrastructure of the McLaren HPC estate, gaining an in depth knowledge of the HPC systems including: clusters, large SMP systems, networking, storage and software.
- Develop software solutions to optimise the HPC system operation and usage, including but not limited to:
- Developing applications, software and / or scripts to improve the HPC systems performance, availability, reporting and usability.
- Optimising the HPC system side workflow for CFD applications.
- Contribute to the development of web based tools to improve the application and CFD workflow on the McLaren Racing HPC systems.
- Provide Linux administrative skills, and support the integration of the HPC estate with company’s IT infrastructure.
- Keep abreast of latest HPC and industry developments.
- Investigate new technologies to improve performance and availability which could include the use of advanced data analytics and machine learning techniques.
- In case of need, act as a second line of operational support for the McLaren HPC estate: help in managing and solving hardware and software issues that may arise with our technical partners and our first line of McLaren Group IT support.
- Participate in hardware and software upgrades. This may occasionally include hands on installation of new hardware.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A degree in Computational Science or related subject.
- Excellent knowledge of Linux, databases, shell scripting and languages such as Python.
- Knowledge and experience of HPC file systems, workload and cluster management software.
- Knowledge of HPC hardware including clusters, storage, network and SAN Infrastructures.
- Experience of working in a production Linux environment.
- Knowledge and experience with virtualization and containers.
- Good understanding of techniques for system & application performance monitoring, analysis and tuning.
- Knowledge of data analytics and machine learning techniques for system side workflow optimization.
- Practical hands on hardware experience.
- High level of personal commitment, availability on weekends and out of hours may be required.