Location: Woking, GB
Job Type: Permanent
Contract Duration: Permanent
Purpose of the Role:
The High Performance Computing (HPC) Application Engineer is a key role to maximise performance of our HPC applications, and maintain a high-end HPC service that meets the very demanding requirements of the McLaren Racing’s computational engineering environment. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, innovative high technology environment, focussing on pure performance and exploring a diverse range of new hardware and software technologies in supercomputing.
- Part of the HPC team, reporting to the HPC Team Leader.
- Flexibility in working hours is required (some evenings and weekends).
- This role is predominantly factory based.
- HPC Team Leader and other members of the HPC team.
- HPC users – CFD methodology team and aerodynamicists.
- Keep abreast of latest HPC and industry developments and investigate the suitability of newly available technologies, including but not limited to: new CPU technologies, HMB memory and high speed infiniband / omnipath interconnect, web-based software technologies and parallel high performance computing applications tuning & optimization. Report back and make recommendations.
- Collaboration with leading Universities and external partners in order to develop and exploit the latest advancements in HPC technology.
- Assist in hardware and software upgrade programmes to implement these new technologies.
- Help to scope, develop, roll out and optimise new and existing web-based tools to improve the applications workflow on the HPC systems, working with the HPC users (CFD methodology engineers and aerodynamicists) to understand their needs.
- Provide Linux administrative skills and support to the HPC users.
- Participate in the day to day operational support of the McLaren Racing HPC estate: manage and solve any hardware and software issues that may arise.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A degree in Computational Science or related subject.
- Knowledge and experience in application profiling, HPC system performance tuning.
- Knowledge and experience with databases: both SQL and no-SQL.
- Knowledge of HPC hardware including clusters, storage and interconnects.
- Knowledge and experience with system and process virtualization.
- Knowledge and experience with HPC batch job schedulers.
- Knowledge of data analytics and machine learning techniques would be an advantage.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter, able to identify requirements independently, then make proposals for solutions.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.
- High level of personal commitment, availability on weekends and out of hours may be required.