Research Software Groups (RSGs)
Research Software Engineering Groups provide a home for research programmers who collaborate with researchers on multiple research projects.
Most Research Software Engineers are employed as Research Associates on individual research projects. But we are particularly interested in the ways in which research organisations bring research programmers together into larger teams, and are trying to maintain a list of such groups here, not just in the UK, but around the world.
These may be formal organisations (like the UCL group), or looser federations (like the Oxford group). They may be based in universities or in national labs or research institutes, and in academic departments or in university IT organisations.
UKRSE hosts an “RSE Leaders” subcommittee, a peer-support group for heads of research software engineering groups. If you run a research programming organisation, and would like to join, please get in touch.
If your place of work meets the above definition, please contact the RSE Network Co-ordinator, Claire Wyatt, c (dot) email@example.com
If you are based outside the UK, please see our list of international RSE groups.
- The BP Institute at University of Cambridge
- High Performance Computing Service (HPCS), University of Cambridge
- Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- Research Software Developers Network (RSDN) in Oxford
- Advanced Research Computing (ARC), Oxford University
- Research Software Engineering Initiative at the University of Sheffield
- Insigneo Institute, University of Sheffield
- Center for Computational Imaging & Simulation Technologies in Biomedicine (CISTIB), University of Sheffield
- The University of Southampton
- University of St Andrews
- STFC Scientific Computing Department
- Swansea Academy of Advanced Computing (SAAC)