Research Software Groups (RSGs)
Research Software Engineering Groups provide a home for research programmers who collaborate with researchers on multiple research projects.
Most Research Software Engineers are employed as Research Associates on individual research projects. But we are particularly interested in the ways in which research organisations bring research programmers together into larger teams, and are trying to maintain a list of such groups here, not just in the UK, but around the world.
These may be formal organisations (like the UCL group), or looser federations (like the Oxford group). They may be based in universities or in national labs or research institutes, and in academic departments or in university IT organisations.
UKRSE hosts an “RSE Leaders” subcommittee, a peer-support group for heads of research software engineering groups. If you run a research programming organisation, and would like to join, please get in touch.
If your place of work meets the above definition, please contact the RSE Network Co-ordinator, Claire Wyatt, c (dot) firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are based outside the UK, please see our list of international RSE groups.
- The Alan Turing Institute
- Advanced Computing Research Centre (ACRC) at the University of Bristol
- The BP Institute at University of Cambridge
- High Performance Computing Service (HPCS), University of Cambridge
- Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- Diamond Light Source
- Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC)
- The Francis Crick Institute
- Imperial College London
- The Mantid Group at ISIS Facility
- University of Manchester
- Research Software Developers Network (RSDN) in Oxford
- Advanced Research Computing (ARC), Oxford University
- The Royal Veterinary College Skeletal Biology Group
- Research Software Engineering Initiative at the University of Sheffield
- Insigneo Institute, University of Sheffield
- Center for Computational Imaging & Simulation Technologies in Biomedicine (CISTIB), University of Sheffield
- The University of Southampton
- University of St Andrews
- STFC Scientific Computing Department